If you want to know how to make white sauce at home then read the entire article.
White sauce, also called Béchamel sauce. It is one of the most important constituents of French cuisine. Learn it and try it. You can pair it with a lot of dishes.
White sauce has so many variants that if you try to learn its recipe on the internet it will let you confused to the core. The truth is, you can dress-up or down as per your requirement. For instance plain flour is used instead of cheese when you do want to enjoy the viscous sauce but don’t want it to be as fattening. Plain flour is just one example.
Let’s get to the main point now!
Preparation time: 20 minutes approx.
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
- Plain flour
- White pepper
How to make it?
There are only five easy steps for you to follow and you will have your sauce ready in no time.
- Melt the butter slice in a heavy pan
- Add flour, stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Now put off the stove. Add milk gradually while stirring in the mixture.
- Now turn on the stove, and continue stirring till the milk is absorbed.
- When the milk is absorbed and the base of the pan becomes visible, add some more milk and continue this process till you’ve added all the milk.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Now let it simmer for around ten minutes and then add salt and pepper.
White sauce Variants:
Thin sauce: You add Butter and flour to avoid heaviness. It won’t be fattening.
Medium White sauce: Use 3 tablespoons of butter along with three tablespoons of flour
Heavy white sauce: Use 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of flour
Cheesy White sauce for vegetables: Add half cup shredded cheese to the sauce right when you’re taking it off the stove. Now, stir, so that the cheese melts. You can either toss this version with pasta or drizzle it over vegetables.
Cream sauce: Add heavy cream to the mixture to the above mentioned variants (light, medium and heavy). It will get heavy, but it might be your favorite when you try.
Herb Sauce: Add herbs to the mixture. You can add dried basil, chives to the sauce just before it’s done. You can also add fresh herbs instead of dried ones.
Do let us know in the comments if you have any queries regarding how to make white sauce at home.